I have difficulty in breathing. I’m having a hard time inhaling and feeling a little pain in my chest every time I breathe. It feels like I’m having asthma. I cough a lot. It feels like I have to grasp every air around me just to breathe.
That’s how it feels when one is having an asthma attack. It’s hard. It’s even more difficult to predict when and where it will attack. We know that it can be triggered by dusts, cold weather and other factors that could irritate the throat or lung passage. But still, it’s quite difficult to predict what could trigger that attack. Furthermore, it could also be fatal if not prevented. So anyone who has this breathing disorder should always be prepared in case of sudden attack. One reason why people with these breathing problems have their ‘must brings’ on their bags. One of these ‘must brings’ is something that they can inhale when they are having difficulty in breathing. It should have soothing and cooling feeling on the chest when inhaled. One of these possible inhalers that are part of the “asthma reliefs must bring” is Mint or Peppermint ointments.
Peppermint comes from a plant which is a hybrid of water mint and spearmint. Peppermint also known as Mentha × piperita or Mentha balsamea Wild has various health benefits not just for the relief of asthma. Here are some of the health benefits of peppermint.
Peppermint offers benefits to the respiratory system, including for coughs, colds, asthma, allergies and tuberculosis:
- It acts as an e decongestant, and may help clear your respiratory tract. You can also use peppermint essential oil as a cold rub on your chest or inhale it through a vaporizer to help clear nasal congestion. It relieve cough and cold symptoms.
- Inhaled essential oil of peppermint helped to rapidly regress tuberculosis inflammation
- Peppermint contains rosmarinic acid (also found in rosemary), which may help to reduce inflammation-causing chemicals in people with asthma.
Inhaling the peppermint aroma may offer memory enhancement and stress relief:
- Peppermint oil is cooling and energizing. Add a few drops to your bath, or dap a few drops directly on your body then get into the tub, for near-instant stress relief. You can also put the oil into a burner for a stress-relieving aroma.
- Peppermint oil may help relieve tension headache pain. For headache pain, try dabbing a few drops on your wrist or sprinkling a few drops on a cloth, then inhaling the aroma. You can also massage the oil directly onto your temples and forehead.
- The aroma of peppermint has been shown to enhance memory and increase alertness.
Peppermint also has other benefits n the body such as skin care, tooth health, abdominal problems
- Peppermint oil is an effective alternative to drugs for reducing colonic spasms. Moreover, it also relaxes the muscles of your intestines, allowing gas to pass and easing abdominal pain.
- Peppermint oil extract has been shown to be superior to the mouthwash chemical chlorhexidine in inhibiting the formation of biofilm formations linked to dental cavities. It also helps in relief of toothache and tooth decay.
- Blending peppermint oil into your massage oil, shampoo, bodywash or body lotion. It has antiseptic and antibacterial properties that can help cool your skin and remove dandruff and lice from your scalp.
About The Author
Reynald is an Oleia user and content contributor. He is a dreamer by night, a storyteller by day.His stories are told through the click of his camera lens and the strokes of his pen.